Falls can cause injury to any part of the body but most commonly:
- Arm / Wrist / Shoulder - commonly known as fall on outstretched hand or "FOOSH"
- Head & Spine - including concussions and neck/back injuries
- Hip / Pelvis - often affecting older adults and can be fatal in some cases
Follow these links to scientific journal articles about the effectiveness of martial arts training in preventing falling-related injuries:
- V. Weerdesteyn, B. E. Groen, R. van Swigchem, J. Duysens. "Martial art fall techniques reduce hip impact forces in naive subjects after a brief period of training". Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. Volume 18, Issue 2, Pages 235-242, April 2008.
- F. J. Leavitt. "Can martial arts falling techniques prevent injuries?" BMJ (British Medical Journal) Inj Prev 2003;9:284 doi:10.1136/ip.9.3.284.
- B. E. Groen, V. Weerdesteyn, J. Duysens. "Martial arts fall techniques decrease the impact forces at the hip during sideways falling". Journal of Biomechanics. Volume 40, Issue 2, Pages 458-462, 2007.
Falls are inevitatble, but injuries can be prevented. There IS something you can do to TAKE CONTROL. By learning practical skills for falling, you & your loved ones can avoid unnecessary costs, pain and loss of life.
Click here to learn more about Safe Fall®'s services.